Principal Automation Engineer – Cambridge
Laboratory Automation – Biological Engineering – High Throughput – LIMS
We are delighted to be supporting a growing biotechnology company in the Cambridge area. Having recently series B funding, the company is now focusing on expanding state-of-the-art automation capabilities.
The teams here are developing an integrated, genomics drug discovery engine to deliver a pipeline of medicines to address diseases (inc. Cancer). This Principal Automation Engineer role will help them to progress new projects and current points of interest, by improving the automated workflows, integrated systems, and high-throughput capabilities.
The CEO driving this company is a pioneer in drug discovery and they are on a strong growth trajectory. We hope to find a curious, senior candidate who likes to push boundaries and collaborate with NGS, Biochemistry, Data Science, Cell Biology. There is the opportunity to build your own team soon if you desire this career direction.Job Responsibilities:
• Work with scientists to improve automated workflow utilizing various laboratory automation equipment with the key focus of increasing throughput, improving data quality, reducing costs
• Program and implement methods on robotic liquid handling workstations and integrated laboratory automation systems and work cell
• Design, implement and lead integration projects to enable to grow at scale.
• Establish and maintain automation operational protocols/documentations (i.e. SOP, scripts, backups, data analysis)
• Work with Informatics and IT to establish and/or improve current LIMS and data analysis infrastructure
• Develop customized scripts to enable lab connectivity and/or data analysis
• Collaborate with third-party vendors to evaluate, negotiate and implement new automation solutions
• Proactively evaluate new technologies, analyze existing workflows, identify bottlenecks, and develop solutions to improve efficiency, throughput, cost, and qualityJob Requirements:
• MS with 6+ years of experience or B.S. with 8+ years of experience in biomedical or biological engineering, chemical engineering or similar
• Advanced knowledge with laboratory automation systems and experimental workflow development, utilizing robotic liquid handlers (Hamilton, Labcyte Echo, Agilent Bravo, Tecan, Dynamic Devices) and associated integrated accessories
• Strong electrical and mechanical background to be able to assemble and troubleshoot automated system as needed.
• Experience with fully integrated automation solutions
• Developing, optimizing and implementing integrated robotic systems for use in a high throughput drug discovery environment is a plus
• Knowledge of standard molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid isolation/purification, DNA assembly, transformation, CRISPR editing, NGS is a plus
• Independent, service-oriented, willingness to learn and take on new challenges, and a strong passion to work in a dynamic team environment to improve patient outcomes and save lives
Please don’t hesitate to contact us to share your CV or request a conversation if you are interested!
Keywords: Automation Engineer, Laboratory Automation, LIMS, High Throughput, Biological Engineering, Integration, Genomics, Robotics, NGS, Biochemistry, Liquid Handlers